Thursday, March 12, 2009

Frugal, Cheap anyone?

Ok, I was watching FOX news this morning. I know, I know I try not to do it very often. I let others tell me the whozee whatsits, and goingson. But there I was. They were talking to a lady who is known as the frugal queen more or less. She was talking about different things she does to save money. Her musband is a stay at home dad, and they save anywhere from 25-50% of her check every month and put it aside for when things get rough. She boils her coffee in a pot and uses paper towels for filters, instead of real coffee filters. That's a rough one for me, ya know, I think the coffee filters are what make my coffee, and they're so cute!

Any then they were talking about what everyone does to save a buck. So I thought I would see what all of you do to be a little frugal, to cut a few corners, etc. Any ideas?!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

the Dover Family said...

Good idea. Here's what I thought of right away. We shop with a grocery list and stick to it (most of the time), it's surprising how much you save at the store when you do this. I put water in the bottom of the hand soap when it's almost gone to get every last bit. And I have changed my driving habits so that I use less gas.

Emily said...

Well, we make almost all of our own cleaning supplies. That saves a lot. I also try to make most things (when I am being good) from scratch (beans, bread, etc) to save on the cost of groceries. We also try to make sure lights are off and not to overuse water to save a little there. If you come up with some good ones, let me know. I am always open to saving money!

Jill said...

Looking on Ebay, Craigslist, or Amazon first for just about everything is great.
I know I need to start making a menu a week or two out before I do my grocery shopping. I think that is definitely my biggest budget black-hole.

Jennica said...

Hey Kari, it's Jennica. I am happy to see you in the blogging world. We miss so many people from "home".

Hope all is well.

by Deterlou said...

Keri, well I came from the cheap of cheap of dads! LOL So I just naturally am careful with water, lights and saving pennies. One thing I do is I have trained the kids to use a cup towel to dry hands instead of paper towels. Paper towels are used for really dirty messy stuff. I have also found, we as consumers use a lot more laundry soap and softener then is necessary (I know the box says use so much... but hey, they want you to use it up fast and buy more!) I only use about 1/4 of soap in each load and a couple Tb. spoons of softener. I have also found I don't need as much dishwasher detergent as suggested.
Rubbing alcohol and water make great window clean. One part alcohol to 3 parts water.